Monday, May 13, 2013

Think Tank Tuesday

You know how scrapbook albums have the odd single page as the beginning of the album? Well, that's always irked me for some odd reason. I like to have my pages two by two. Maybe I have scrapbookers OCD. That would explain a great deal about me actually...hmmmm.....

I came up with a crazy idea at a crop several years ago. I could make cover pages. I told you it was crazy. They have worked well for me and it gives me an excuse to get all fancy with my Gypsy. I also get to use fun embellishments and different techniques.

I'm going to share five different cover pages with you. I travel a great deal and am always looking for some place new to go. I really enjoy historic sites and natural sites like state parks. I also have a thing for architecture.

Outer Banks, North Carolina
The first cover page is the one I did for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It's pretty simple. It's a single sheet of paper matted on cardstock. The paper is one I didn't want to cut up or cover up with photos. The words "Outer Banks" were cut from Bazzill cardstock on my Cricut Expression. I used my Gypsy to weld the letters together. There are several small shells glued on as well.

Savannah, Georgia
Next up is the cover page from my day in Savannah, Georgia. Georgia's state flower is the Cherokee Rose. It reminds me of Magnolias. I used to think Magnolia was the state flower until I was in Georgia at a crop and we had a whole discussion that involved Google about it.

This paper is another one I didn't really want to cut and it's matted on cardstock. The die cut words are also done on my Gypsy and Cricut. There's a sticky note that I need to cut out a Magnolia and pop it on here. See I use sticky notes for everything!

Wilmington, North Carolina
I also spent a day in Wilmington, North Carolina. Very cool town with tons of historic sites. Palm trees, too! That's the furthest north I've seen palm trees so I used a sheet of palm tree paper. The die cutting is from my Gypsy and Cricut. There's a metal seashell charm glued on as well.

Georgia Aquarium
The Georgia Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the world. It was when I visited at least. It's a very cool aquarium and Coca~Cola is right next door! The paper is from a company that makes watercolors and turns them in scrapbook papers. Pretty cool, right? Love the coral! This was perfect for an aquarium cover page. The die cutting is from my Gypsy and Cricut (you're stunned I know! ).

One thing you can't see is a 12x12 clear transparency on top of the cover page. The sticky note says I need to add Glossy Accents mixed with blue ink to make bubbles.

Charleston, South Carolina
And the last one is for a few days we spent in Charleston. If you like history at all, this is the place to go! The architecture is absolutely amazing and the city is one of the oldest in the US. A number of movies have been filmed there including my favorite, The Notebook. Yup, checked out many of the places it was filmed.

This cover page has a lot of bright yellow which I used because Charleston is a sunny, hot place. I used an Old English style font on my Gypsy and Cricut to reflect the age of the city.

So if you have an odd, empty page, cover pages provide an excellent way of filling the empty space. They're also a fabulous way of using papers you don't want to cut up and showcase.

Until the next time*

Be adventurous. Try a new technique!




No comments: