Thursday, August 4, 2011

The End of an Era

Have you ever been to a place where creativity magically appeared in your veins? I mean the most creative you've ever been and completely inspired by everyone around you. That was Colorful Creations. This past Saturday Colorful Creations closed their doors forever. This was my home away from home. Sure it was on Cape Cod, but the Cape always played second fiddle to the amazingly talented women at {CC}.

Over the last three or so years, I've learned so much about my artistic abilities from those ladies. I discovered there's so much more to scrapbooking, stamping, and card making than many people realize. There's a whole world of mixed media and they compliment and complete each other so well.

Colorful Creations was so fabulous that they had their own line of rubber stamps and papers. Both reflected their location. Where else can you get Cape Cod stamps, papers, and die cuts?

I made some amazing friends and had incredible teachers. Stampober Fest was one of my greatest memories in my all of my art education. That was really where I began to see the world of paper crafting for more than scrapbooking. I learned about watercoloring, jewelry and tags from Tim Holtz's fantastic collections, Ten Seconds Studio's metals and wood, and book binding where you create the cover yourself. It was one of the most creative, artistic days of my life. I so didn't want it to end.

That same weekend, I took Jenn Shurkus' Advent class. Jenn is famous around New England for her Advent class. Every year she comes up with something completely different and unique. I have learned so much from Jenn over the years. She introduced me to Copics (oh that was dangerous!), A Muse Stamps, and a whole slew of other products.

Colorful Creations lead me to some of the greatest products that aren't typically used by scrapbookers. When I first started finding new toys from them, my friends back home were always intrigued by what I found that trip. They were always excited when they would hear I was going back to the Cape because they knew I would come home with something new and fabulous. The ladies were also awesome for tips on where to eat and what there is to see and do besides just the touristy stuff.

Sadly, those days are over. Thankfully, I have my memories. Some of them are a little on the crazy side. One day started with me panicking, but Erin and her phone came to my rescue. I even took a few photos over the years as you can see. I thought the store was so gorgeous. From the studio area to the stamp wall to the Bazzill wall to all of the great pieces of art hanging around the entire store to the signatures from the visiting artists like Tim Holtz and Ali Edwards there was tons of inspiration surrounding you.

Whenever I was on the Cape for a crop, a class, or vacation, I always made sure to stop by the store and see what they had that was new. Jayne and Jenn always had the latest and greatest products on the shelves. And being that I was on Cape Cod, I needed lots and lots and lots of beach and ocean items. Colorful Creations never disappointed!

I just want to thank Jayne, Jenn, Melissa O., Melissa M., and Erin for the years of laughs, tears, friendship, kindness, and creativity. You all are truly one of a kind and are such an inspiration to everyone whom you've come across especially in the industry. I am seriously working on getting to Crop on the Cape this year.....even if I have to skip a few days of school......it's for a good cause, right? ;)

You know the theme song from the tv show Cheers?


"Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to be where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same;
You want to be where everybody knows your name."

That was {Colorful Creations}.

Until next time *

Have you shopped your LSS today? Do it before it's gone!

2 comments:

jenn shurkus said...

great post shyra :) thanks for sharing all of your memories.. means a lot to me... i love the pics of the store you took over the years!!!

Kim said...

I agree with Jenn, great post! I never visited the store (live many hours away) but met Jenn at one of our stamping events and have kind of "followed" what was happening at the store ever since. I work in a LSS in my area and it's a struggle. My heart sank when I heard that Colorful Creations was closing (just received an email that another one is closing up shop here in Manchester, NH). I pray that things pick up in our little industry and we see more stores beginning to re-open...Until then, we will indeed hold on to our memories!