Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ephemera

So I'm on an ephemera kick this week. Why? I was sick in the middle of the night and I swear I've read everything interesting on the internet so I decided to do some window shopping on Etsy. Yeah, window shopping. The kind where you spend money.

What is ephemera? First time I heard the word was from Anna Griffin awhile ago. Tim Holtz likes to use it to. Here's what Merriam Webster - the dictionary people - have to say:
 "ephemera plural : paper items (as posters, broadsides, and tickets) that were originally meant to be discarded after use but have since become collectibles"

I have never spent much time checking out Etsy before. I know a few people with shops and was looking at their goodies. In the last few weeks, I have purchased some gorgeous hand made scallop shells that I will be making into ornaments for my Christmas tree. I purchased them from Bayscallop Fine Crafts. It turns out I know the owner! I took a class from her during Stampoberfest at Colorful Creations. Talk about a small world!

My second purchase came from Mark Montano. Yeah, the guy from HGTV and who wrote the Big Ass Book of Crafts. He made acorn earrings from the 1920's. They are gorgeous! The man knows how to wrap! My package looked like something from a Hollywood. He should hire himself out for gift wrapping workshops.

I should take come pics of my recent Etsy purchases. I think I will wait until this weeks purchases arrive in the mail. I purchased lots of goodies for my ephemera collection! Lots of vintage, Bingo cards, library cards, tags, wooden spools, wooden buttons, tickets, sheet music, all kinds of goodies! I even purchased some digital sheets of Victorian ATC's and tags.

I can't wait to play with all of the goodies. Please USPS get them all to my house quickly!

I will be opening my own Etsy shop in the next few weeks! I'll keep you posted on all of those happenings.

In the mean time, I'm on a mission. I need more ephemera! I am thinking about hitting up some flea markets and the Good Will this weekend! I'll let you know how this goes. I've never gone to a flea market before. Gotta remember to bring cash in small bills so I'm told.

Until next time *

How's your ephemera collection?

No comments: